Use 'in' with static (non-movement) verbs and cities, countries, states, etc.:
- stay in the USA
- work in New York
Use 'at' with static (non-movement) verbs and places:
- at the cinema
- at work
- at home
Use 'to' with verbs of movement such as go, come, drive, etc.:
- go to work
- drive to California
The use of"(nothing)
- With verbs of movement and the noun 'home' - He went home. - they drove home.
- With the verb 'visit' - She visited France last summer.
Test Your Understanding
Now that you have studied the use of in / at / to / nothing - as prepositions of place and movement, try the follow-up quiz to test your understanding.
Prepositions of Place and Movement Quiz
Study other prepositions:
- Prepositions of Place - in / at / on
- Prepositions - for / while / during
- Prepositions of time and date - in / to / on / at
- Nouns Prepositions
- Prepositions Nouns
- Adjective Prepositions Combinations - 1
- Adjective Prepositions Combinations - 2
- "Of" versus "from"